Do you feel empty? Lonely? Lack energy or motivation? Do you often have trouble concentrating and feel like you can’t pull your mind out of the fog? Does your body feel heavy and even the thought of moving around feels like it’s too much for you. Do you feel stuck and ashamed that your not further along in your life? Do you get overwhelmed easily and just quit things? Does being around others exhaust you so you avoid people, and places you once loved? Do you feel alone, misunderstood because no one gets that you can’t just shake it off, get over it, or push through it?
We can help you build resilience and overcome Depression.
Some Common Depression Symptoms include:
- Loss of interest in activities you would normally enjoy
- Changes in sleep patterns, either sleeping more or less than usual
- Uncontrollable tearfulness or marked changes in your mood
- Irritability or difficulty focusing or paying attention
- Excessive feelings of guilt or shame
- Changes in energy, loss of enthusiasm or feeling unusually lethargic and unmotivated
- Changes in appetite, or unusual weight loss or gain
- Thoughts that revolve around self-harm
- Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
Why Depression Happens:
- Family history of depression or suicide
- The abuse of substances such as alcohol, narcotics and amphetamines
- Traumatic event experienced or witnessed (i.e., death of a loved one, serious accident, medical event, war)
- Head trauma (i.e., concussions, accidents)
- Chronic stress or overwhelming need for physical and mental attention
- Strained relationships
We all feel sad from time to time. It is after all a healthy human emotion. However, when sadness becomes sticky and is accompanied by feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, or numbness, the sadness has likely morphed into depression. Depression often affects how you feel, think, and behave, which can lead to many emotional and physical problems.
People coping with depression can benefit from individual therapy. Often depression starts from negative viewpoints and reactions to challenging situations. The spiraling of negative thoughts can lead to reoccurring cycles of depressive episodes that spin out of control.
How we Can Help you:
We provide talk therapy for depression using cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), psychodynamic, Gestalt, and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) and mindfulness-based therapy, among other modalities. to manage your depression. You will learn to disengage from negative thoughts and treat them as information, rather than absolute truths, so they have less influence over your behavior.
Depression is often associated with deep roots about how you see and feel about yourself that develops into a negative bias towards our own lives. When we feel worthless, useless, or unlovable, we pay attention to cues that confirm those feelings and discount the good that is happening in our lives. This distorted perspective often reinforces feelings of sadness and extends the depression. Recognizing and resolving the underlying issues will be a big step toward living a happier life.
One of the great challenges of depression therapy is that to get out of it requires engaging in activities that while depressed will likely feel impossible. It takes a tremendous dose of perseverance to get out and about when we feel apathy and low energy.
The good news is that by working with an experienced and compassionate therapist at Zion Restoration Counseling Services you will regain hope, heal, and transform into a richer and more fulfilling life.
Call us today and start working with one of our amazing therapists at Zion Restoration Counseling Services to help you take control of your emotions and create the life you want.